Interested in learning more about fire protection for power plants? Click here.
A fire erupted at an old power generating station during the peak hours of a winter storm. According to Fire Chief Jeff Lynch, the fire began when an old, worn out generator malfunctioned and caused the insulation and wiring to catch fire in the oil-fueled generator.
An alarm sounded, so a worker went into the generator room to inspect, and found the fire. The facility was evacuated and the fre department called.
Firefighters used the limited supply of dry chemical and carbon dioxide extinguishers, but ran out and had to use water.
An Exelon spokesman said that crews are trying to determine the cause of the fire, extent of the damage, and cost of the repairs.