Interested in learning more about fire protection for chemical plants? Click here.
A Mount Mauganui Chemical Plant is on fire and sending plumes of toxic smoke into the air.
A police spokesperson said huge amounts of smoke is coming from the plant.
The plant was evacuated along with surrounding businesses.
The smoke blew to overseas and police are saying to avoid any area with smoke because it is very toxic.
"As there was smoke billowing into the air police asked businesses on Hewletts Road to close until it could be ascertained as to whether there were any dangerous chemicals within the smoke," said Senior Segeant Carl Purcell of the Tauranga police.
The blaze is now contained.
The investigation is still under investigation, but it appears as though a faulty valve has let gas escape and the gas caught fire.