Interested in learning more about fire protection for power plants? Click here.
Emmonak, Alaska -- A generator at Alaska Village Electric Co-op caught fire at 10am on Tuesday, leaving the residents of Emmonak in the dark.
A power plant operator was about to begin a fuel transfer when he saw smoke.
"The power plant operator was there at the time and he stepped out to begin a fuel transfer. He noticed there was smoke coming out of the building so he went in and noticed the generator had caught fire. He summoned help and the fire was extinguished in fairly short order," said Meera Kohler, president of Alaska Village Electric Co-op.
The generator is one out of four in Emmonak. The other three were not on site.