Interested in learning more about construction safety? Click here.
Newburyport, MA -- Two workers were injured when they were burned during a construction accident.
Employees were welding a trench when residual gas from a gas line sparked a flash fire.
"One of the officers on duty for the road detail heard somebody screaming and when he looked over saw the fire about eight feet up in the air. And then saw someone fidgeting in the trench trying to get out," said Newburyport Fire Lt. Steve Hamilton.
One worker was taken to the hospital with severe burns to his face. The other worker was injured helping the former out of the trench. He had minor injuries.
OSHA is investigating.