Do you want to make sure your HVAC system is effective and efficient as possible? Click here to learn more.
Follow these tips and tricks to make your HVAC system run more effectively and ultimately reduce utility bills.
- In homes and buildings built before the 1990s, thermal inefficiencies are common. Use a smoke stick and go by windows, doors, and outlets. If the smoke blows in or out, this is an area that needs resealed to avoid losing your heat or air conditioning to the elements. Use weather strips, spackle, spray foam, or latex caulk to fill gaps.
- Replace your boiler filter. If the filter is dirty, it will not effectively distribute air through the vents.
- Add extra insulation to attics and walls. In areas that are closed, you can use cellulose or foam insulation.
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat. You can reduce utilities by lowering the heat while you are at work automatically.
- Shut off vents in areas of the house rarely used. This will provide better heat and cool air distribution to the rooms regularly used.
- Get an energy audit. By contacting local utility providers, you can get a free audit, so you know if your home is efficient or not.
By following these tips and tricks, you can lower utility bills by 10-15%!