Our Very Own Fire Sprinklers Saved Normal, IL Apartment

fire sprinkler saves apartment complex.jpg

Normal, IL -- When a fire broke out at the apartment complex known as The Lodge near Illinois State University, F.E. Moran Fire Protection National's fire sprinkler activated and saved the day!

Normal Fire Department is giving credit to a single sprinkler for activating and saving the apartment complex.  

The fire department was called to the scene at 1:17pm to a report of a fire on the third floor in a bedroom.  Maintenance was on site and called 9-1-1, and evacuated the apartment complex.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke coming from a third floor window, facing a pool and parking lot.  When firefighters entered the apartment, they found that the sprinkler activated and extinguished the fire.  They shut down the sprinkler and ventilated the smoke.

"This is a perfect example of a fire sprinkler system getting water on an early stage fire fast and knocking the fire down before it got out of control," said Fire Chief Mick Humer.

"The thing about sprinklers is that they get water on a small fire fast and stop it from spreading.  If this building didn't have a sprinkler system, the fire would have likely gone undetected until the entire room and its contents were on fire.  From there, it likely would have spread to the attic space directly above and into adjacent rooms and apartments, without sprinklers, the potential damage would have been significant and displaced many residents," said Matt Swaney, Public Information Officer.

Glen Rosecrans emailed F.E. Moran Fire Protection's Christy Heinold to say:

This apartment was in the furthest, remote section of the building, it was on the side off of one of the wings that came in clear at the end and on the 3rd floor with a fire against the window.  It actually [was caused by] the drape over the window by touching an exposed light bulb.  [The fire was on] the opposite side of the room from the [sprinkler] head.  The single head completely extinguished the fire!!  We didn't even need to charge the hoseline that we pulled up.  Don't get much more remote than that head, and it put the fire out.  So, good save!