Check out this article on working with immobile patients during a fire evacuation.
More than 100 nursing home residents were evacuated on Sunday after a fire broke out at a rehabilitation center near Alamo Heights.
The fire broke out just before 7 p.m. at the Alamo Heights Health & Rehabilitation Center in the 8200 block of Broadway Street.
Chief Charles Hood with the San Antonio Fire Department said the fire was believed to have started in a supply shed filled with household cleaning supplies.
Hood said the shed was fully engulfed when crews arrived and it posed another danger because it was located near an apartment complex.
Fire crews evacuated 138 residents from the nursing home and two buildings from the nearby complex.
Hood said firefighters extinguished the fire quickly once everyone was safely outside.
"You are getting people out that cannot rescue themselves," said Hood. "It's going to take two or three people to rescue these folks out. We had four fire companies, which is about 16 firefighters, but we also had staff, volunteers, people that were here visiting relatives on this day."
Nearby resident Eric Curry said he saw the fire when he was driving and stopped to help.
"I pulled through here and saw that they needed some help, so I pulled over," said Curry. "I went in the building and started evacuating some people at the rehab center, started helping them out. We have been giving them water, blankets."
Hazmat crews were also on scene to make sure there were no hazardous chemicals in the building before they let residents back inside.
The cause of the fire was accidental. Damages estimates were unknown.
Story provided by: www.ksat.com