Teen Perishes in Bull Shoals Fire

Interested in learning more about fire protection for your home?  Click here.

BULL SHOALS -- A teenager died in a house fire Sunday, according to Police Chief Dan Sutterfield.

Scott Stracener, 18, of Bull Shoals perished in a structure fire at 110 Summit Ave. Sutterfield said according to witnesses, the fire started in Stracener's bedroom and appears to be a cigarette smoking-related accident.

Bull Shoals Police Department was called to the residence at 3:12 p.m. Sunday for a structure fire with a report of someone trapped in the residence.

Upon arrival, officers were advised someone was inside the residence. Attempts by Bull Shoals Police to get inside the residence failed due to the amount of fire and smoke, Sutterfield said.

Bull Shoals Fire Department arrived on scene and battled the fire for approximately an hour, continuously trying to get to the victim. Once the fire was extinguished, Keith Edmonds of the Office of Emergency Management, Bull Shoals Police, Bull Shoals firefighters and Marion County Coroner Dan Duran were able to locate Stracener's body in the residence.

According to Sutterfield, Duran determined the cause of death to be smoke inhalation. The fire spread throughout the entire residence, causing it to be a total loss.The family also lost all belongings in the fire and is staying with other family members until living arrangements can be made.

Sutterfield said police and fire departments remained on scene for several hours, and the investigation is ongoing at this time.

Bull Shoals Police Department will gather clothes and shoes sizes for the victims and making them public. Monetary donations for the family may be made at Bull Shoals City Hall and Bull Shoals Police Department, Sutterfield said.

Flippin Police Department, Flippin Fire Department, Fairview Fire Department and Grover Township Fire Department assisted in the fire.

Story provided by:  baxterbulletin.com