Smoke at Columbine High School Caused by Cleaning Crew Drying Fan

Interested in learning more about school fire protection?  Click here.

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - Firefighters were called to Columbine High School early Thursday morning. Inside they found smoke.

Littleton Fire Division Chief Wayne Zygowicz said the smoke came from a drying fan that malfunctioned.

Eight units from the Littleton Fire Department helped ventilate the building at 3:15 a.m.

Dispatchers initially told 7NEWS there was a small fire in a classroom, but Zygowicz said there was no fire.

A fire last Wednesday at the school was caused by contractors who were welding on the roof of the school, catching insulation in a wall on fire.

The smoke on Thursday was caused by a cleaning crew working on the school's floors.

Story provided by: