Chicago Senior Living High-rise Fire

Interested in learning more about fire protection for senior living facilities?  Click here.

No one was injured in a small fire at a Chicago Housing Authority senior living building on the Near North Side this evening, authorities said.

Firefighters were called to the building, 116 W. Elm St., about 8:30 p.m., and were able to put out the mattress fire in a 10th-story apartment within a few minutes, said Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

The smoky fire caused some residents to be evacuated from the building, but damage was confined to the bedroom where it started, the mattress, the walls and some items in the room, Langford said.

The fire was started when a candle fell on the mattress, and when the apartment resident couldn't stop the fire, the resident fled, closing the door, according to the fire department.

"Occupant did the correct thing in leaving and closing door," the department's news office said in a Tweet. "Fire contained."

At least a dozen fire trucks were on the scene, shutting down parts of Elm and Clark streets. Passersby gathered along the fence outside the high-rise, watching the firefighters and police who had assembled.

The building is listed on the Chicago Housing Authority's web site as the Zelda Ormes Apartments, with occupancy limited to those older than age 60.

Story provided by: