1 hurt in high-rise fire on Mag Mile

Interested in learning more about Chicago high rise fire protection?  Click here.

One person suffered minor injuries in a fire in a high-rise building on North Michigan Avenue this morning.

The fire broke out shortly before 10 a.m. in a 15th floor apartment in a 33-story building in the 500 block of North Michigan Avenue, according to fire officials.

"Sounded like they got it knocked (down) right away," said one firefighter standing on the Michigan Avenue sidewalk.

The fire was confined to one apartment on the 15th floor. A man suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in fair to serious condition, according to Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

“He was talking when they were looking at him in the ambulance,’’ Langford said.

Firefighters on the scene said an overheated electrical appliance, possibly a humidifier, touched off the fire.

Traffic on Michigan Avenue between Illinois and Ohio streets was blocked in both directions as shoppers and commuters stopped to watch the emergency crews.

Story provided by:  www.chicagotribune.com