Interested in learning more about fire sprinklers for residential buildings? Click here.
WINOOSKI, Vt. -
A sprinkler system helped stop a fire Thursday morning at a residential complex in Winooski.
Officials say the blaze at the East Street Condominiums broke out after a resident was smoking a cigarette in her second-floor unit and her mattress began smoldering.
Residents say smoking is allowed in the units.
The fire department received a call from the occupant and the sprinkler system was activated.
"The sprinkler system, because it was a sprinkler building, it was able to keep the fire in check. So by the time they had arrived on scene, most of the fire was out and they used a dry chemical to extinguish the rest of the fire," Winooski Assistant Fire Chief Erika Bailey explained.
Officials say no one was injured, but they will have to conduct a full investigation to determine if other units in the building were affected.
Story provided by: wcax.com