Spray painting ignites fire at Queensridge clubhouse; worker burned

Interested in learning more about fire protection for residential buildings?  Click here.

A worker was seriously burned this morning while spray painting the clubhouse of a homeowner's association in the western Las Vegas Valley.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said the fire erupted at 10:17 a.m. at the Queensridge Homeowners Association building in the 800 block of Palace Court.

A group of workers were painting the inside of the building with a commercial paint sprayer and had placed thin plastic sheets around the area to prevent overspray. The accumulated paint fumes were apparently ignited by the pilot light inside a natural gas fireplace in the building.

A fire sprinkler doused the flames before firefighters arrived.

The worker suffered first- and second-degree burns on the arms and hands. His injuries were not life threatening, and the fire was ruled accidental.

Damage to the building was estimated at $5,000.

Szymanski said a similar fire occurred on Sept. 10, 2011, at the Casa del Sol apartments in the 5100 block of O'Bannon Drive.

A woman was spray painting on the patio of her apartment using spray paint cans, and the fumes apparently entered a nearby water heater closet and ignited.

The woman was taken to the hospital with minor burns to her legs. Damage at that incident was also estimated at $5,000.

Szymanski urged caution when using spray paint, which is highly flammable.

Story provided by:  lasvegassun.com