Oily Rags Spontaneously Combust and Destroy Home

Interested in learning more about fire protection for your home?  Click here.

Oily rags that were left on a back deck spontaneously combusted at a home in Portland, OR.  The fire thenset a second home on fire.

Neighbors reported an explosion, and firefighters initially believed that it was a transformer explosion.  However, it was later discovered that the homeowners left oily rags on the back deck and they spontaneously combusted.

The spontaneous combustion destroyed the house and the fire spread to the neighbors home.  Luckily, firefighters were able to save the neighbors home.

Investigators recommended to anyone using oily rags to put them in a metal bucket when you are done using them.