Oil Soaked Towels Start Fire at Retirement Home

Interested in learning more about fire sprinklers for retirement communities?  Click here.

Oil-soaked towels started a fire at a retirement home in Tucson,AZ.  The fire forced an evacuation of six units in the three-story building.  Firefighters were alerted of the fire from a water-flow alarm at the Amber Lights independent living facility.

The fire was contained quickly by the building's fire sprinkler system.  Fire fighters extinguished what was left of the fire.

The fire inspector discovered that the fire started from a large pile of linseed oil soaked towels used to recoat a door.  The chemical reaction ignited the fire.

The sprinkler system left some water on the floor.  The fire, smoke, and water combined damage cost $5k.  Could have been worse.