E-Cigarette Explodes and Catches Apartment on Fire

Interested in learning more about fire protection for apartments?  Click here.

fire protection contractorTacoma, WA -- A Tacoma Fire Department spokesperson confirmed that an apartment fire did start from an e-cigarette exploding.  

One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and burns.  Five people were evacuated. 

When fire crews arrived, they saw flames coming through the windows on the upper floor.

A woman living on the bottom floor of the apartment building told her neighbors that her e-cigarette exploded and caught the couch on fire.  She has burns on her hands.

Eli Rivera saw the female laying by the front door.  She informed him that she could not walk without her walker.  Rivera said, "I said we got to get her away from there because something might blow up."  He and another man picked her up and moved her to safety.

Meanwhile, the other residents were able to escape on their own.