Interested in learning more student housing fire protection? Read our latest article, "Protecting College Students from Fire."
Houston, TX -- Eight fraternity brothers escaped their burning frat house at the University of Houston on Sunday.
The Houston Fire Department was called to the scene where they found the attic burning. The brothers said that that smelled something funny when they turned on the heat, so they didn't use it often. However, someone did turn on the heat later in the evening and the fire started.
"We were just hanging out, playing it cool and we saw like a fire and stuff. Smoke was coming out, and we're all like, what are we supposed to do with this fire? And we all just took off," said Dylan Koops, resident.
One student tried to put the fire out with a bucket of water, but the attic became quickly engulfed.
No injuries were reported and the damage was limited to the attic.