Interested in learning more about fire sprinklers for colleges, dorms, residential halls, sororities, fraternities, or off-campus housing? Click here.
Buffalo, NY -- Around 500 students slept in the Alumni Arena at the University of Buffalo after a frozen fire sprinkler pipe burst and caused a power outage.
On Wednesday, a frozen sprinkler at the Red Jacket Quadrangle residential hall/dorm caused water to start dripping on an electrical panel. The panel was damaged and shut down the electricity and heat to the building.
The Vice President of University Life and Services Dennis Black said, "We had water that dripped into that room, took out that panel. [There was] little or no damage to other facilities in the complex."
Cots were being set up in a gym for the students. Security was put on duty to patrol the area.
Power was restored by 5:15pm, but the water in the building needed to be drained because of the lack of heat.
Students were able to return to the dorms yesterday.