Check out our article on avoiding frozen fire sprinklers. Click here.
Fire sprinklers at the Saucon Valley Manor senior home burst when the fire sprinkler line froze.
Residents of the assisted living facility were briefly evacuated when a water-flow alarm alerted. The line was above the dining hall, near an exterior wall. The sprinkler froze because the wall got too cold; it was 11 degrees at the time.
The pipe burst and started leaking into the dining room and eight resident rooms. Luckily, there are enough open rooms that no residents are being displaced.
"We're moving people around so nobody has to leave the building, thank God," said Abe Atiyeh, owner.
The line that broke spewed water for about 30 minutes; that's approximately 600 gallons of water!
A restoration team is being brought in to remove water, repair damage, and repaint.