Fire at Iconic Hancock Center, 5 Injured

Subscribe to get our blog posts in your inbox - Click Here.

5 Injured in Hancock Center Fire | F.E. Moran Fire Protection

Chicago, IL -- Five people were injured when a fire ignited at the Hancock Center on Saturday.

The fire broke out just before the Mag Mile's Lights Festival was set to begin.  Fire officials announced that it took about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire; however, the unit where the fire began was destroyed.

Mary Minow, who lives above the residential unit that had the fire, said she could smell the fire and opened her door to find smoke in the hallway.  "I went into the hallway and there were other neighbors who smelled smoke.  The elevator didn't work, so we went five (flights of) stairs, down to 44 and that elevator took us down." 

Calls began coming in at 2:30pm when thick smoke and flames began shooting from the window of the unit.  More than 100 firefighters and six ambulances arrived at the scene.

Five people received minor injuries.  

The fire is under investigation, and it has residents worried that the building doesn't have adequate fire protection.  The building has smoke detectors, but, because it was built before 1975, it is not required to have fire sprinklers in accordance with the city's fire ordinance.

"Not a single alarm, not a single announcement anywhere, nor did the expensive alarms we spent the last year and a half putting in go off, nothing," said Dr. John Whapham, a resident of the building. 

Read more here. 

 

You Might Also Like...

High-Rise Residential Fire Protection 

Fatal Chicago High-rise Fire in Building that Passed Life Safety ... 

Over 50 Injured in High-rise Fire 

1 Hospitalized in Chicago High-rise Fire