Kentucky -- A Kentucky man is recovering after gas station surveillance footage captured an e-cigarette exploding in his pocket, causing second degree burns.
The video showed the victim, Josh Hamilton, running from the gas station, trying to remove his flaming pants. The video shows him struggling with the clothes until someone douses him with a fire extinguisher.
The e-cigarette battery is lithium-ion, the same type of battery used in hoverboards.
Evan Spahlinger was put in a medically induced coma after an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth. Spahlinger said, "There's an alternative to smoking cigarettes. It's supposed to be a safer and a healthier way of doing it."
Earlier this week, the Ohio Fire Department issued a warning about e-cigarettes. They informed people via their Facebook page that a rechargeable e-cigarette exploded in a victim's lab coat. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, two dozen explosions and fires were reportedly caused by cigarettes between 2009 and 2014. According to Carnegie Mellon University professor Venkat Viswanathan, e-cigarettes have the same fuel capability as gasoline.
The most common causes for e-cigarettes exploding is manufacturing defects, overcharging, and punctures. This can cause the device to overheat and explode.
Viswanathan said, "In terms of the actual product itself -- that this is the cell chemistry -- you are comparing apples to apples between what happens in the hoverboard and what happens in the e-cigarette."
The American Vaping Association released a statement, "When charged and used under proper conditions, vapor product batteries pose no more of a fire risk than similar lithium-ion batteries that are used in cell phones and laptops."
You Might Also Like...