Raeford -- The chief of the Hillcrest Fire Department was seriously burned and sent to a burn unit following a fire and explosion on Friday.
Chief Michael Scott received burns to his arms and face while fighting a fire at a shed in the woods. The injuries are not life-threatening, according to his wife Michelle Scott, who is also a firefighter. She was on the scene during the explosion.
The fire was reported at 11:30am. It was reported to have started in unattended rubble, It spread to the nearby woods and a storage shed, which was the source of the explosion. The shed was filled with equipment and flammable liquids.
"We heard a pop, like popping sounds inside because the flames were coming out the back of the shed," said Michelle. Another firefighter was spraying water through a window.
Michael was standing near the shed door when another firefighter opened it. When the door was open, it set off a violent explosion.
Michael's hair, eyebrows, whiskers, and eyelashes were singed and he got second and third degree burns to his arms.
Michael was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and transferred to the Chapel Hill Burn Center for follow up.
The fire burned several acres and is under investigation.
You Might Also Like...