New York -- A garden center under the tracks of the Metro-North Railroad was using flammable substances without a permit when a major fire broke out.
The fire started on Tuesday at the Urban Garden Center on Park Avenue. It was caused by a fuel spill when workers at the garden center were refilling a generator. The fire, fueled by combustible materials, tore through the area.
"Everything in there was pretty much incinerated," said Fire Department spokesman Jim Long.
Firefighters removed propane tanks, but it was unclear if any had exploded. The business had not been issued any permits for handling or storing fuel or propane.
The fire damaged the railroad's elevated structure, causing train service to be suspended. Full service is likely not going to happen until Friday.
You Might Also Like...