10 Tips to Get More Done Every Day
In the construction industry, there is a lot to get done in a shift and it is easy to go off on a tangent and not get to everything that needs to be done. Check out our top ten tips for getting more done in a day.
1) Start off the day right. Get up early! The mornings are my most calm part of the day, and probably yours too. That means, my early mornings are the most productive. I can get important tasks knocked off my list before I even enter the office. This can be helpful in your home life too. By getting up earlier, you are able to get your personal to-do list done before work.
2) Keep a daily schedule. You can use an app like the ones we listed here to help you make a to-do list for the day.
3) Along with number two, remember to cross items off your list as you complete them. Every morning, I sit down and write a to-do list in my Outlook calendar. As I complete a task, I use the "strike-through" feature to cross it off the list. Not only do I keep track of the items I complete, but, I mean, is there anything more satisfying than crossing an item off the list?
4) Instead of making one to-do list in your Outlook calendar, you can block out times to complete tasks. Try to focus only on the task assigned during that time block. This will help you to stay focused and keep on task.
5) Surround yourself with motivated people. Have you ever worked with someone who is always a downer? They always talk about how terrible their job, company, home life, etcetera is? It can drain the people who are around them - including you. Stay away from those happiness suckers and surround yourself with motivated, driven people. This will help you to be more motivated and driven.
6) Use tech to make life easier. As stated in number 2, use apps to help you keep track of to-do items. Evernote, email apps, calendar apps, and to-do apps can be amazingly helpful and there are so many options to choose from. If you're more of a visual person, choose a color coded or imagery based app. Maybe you're an auditory person, choose an app that talks to you!
7) Be reasonable when choosing your schedule and to-do list for the day. What can you really get done for the day? Are your time blocks realitic? Can you go through your emails in 15 minutes? Don't set yourself up for failure by planning your day in a way that you can't keep up with.
8) Use your GPS. Don't waste time going through traffic or trying to figure out your route when you have a GPS available at your fingertips. You can set most GPS's up to avoid traffic and give you the fastest route.
9) Make a to-do list at the end of your day. What were you unable to complete for the day? What do you know you need to complete the next day? Let that be the starter for your official to-do list for the next day.
10) Reward yourself at the end of the day. Yay - we're at the end of your most productive day yet. What next? Reward yourself for your amazing productivity. By using these tips, you will actually gain some extra free time, so use this to your advantage. Go home and watch the game. Go to the pub and have a beer and some good food. Do something for you.